School’s out for summer which means the kids are home. And while we all love our kids more than anything, if we’re honest with ourselves, having them home all day can be a lot of work! While some boredom is good for them, it can be torture for mom and dad.
So, how do you beat the boredom? By planning a few adventures. Summer activities in Arizona need to include both indoor and outdoor plans in case of high heat and over-active children. Here are some of our favorites, in no particular order, to do with kids to keep their minds and bodies active this summer, while also giving you some time to bond, and maybe even unwind.
Favorite Summer Activities in Arizona
- Grand Canyon – How about a visit to one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World? It is certainly a sight to behold, and with options that include rafting and hiking, or learning in the Visitor Center, it is easy to create an outing your entire family will enjoy. https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm
- Arizona Science Center – Offering three floors of demos and exhibits, a planetarium and IMAX theater, the Arizona Science Center makes for a full day of indoor learning. With their Summer Fun Pass, your budget will be happy as well. https://www.azscience.org/
- Watson Lake – Cooler weather can be found in northern Arizona in the city of Prescott, Arizona, home of the beautiful Watson Lake. Hike, fish, boat, kayak, take photographs and explore. Have a picnic and relax in an overnight campground and do some stargazing. https://www.prescott.com/watson-lake
- Phoenix Police Museum – This “donations welcome” museum located in downtown Phoenix will bring out the good cop in your kiddo. One review calls it a Phoenix must see – small and worth the visit. Check their site for closures before planning your visit. https://phxpdmuseum.org/
- Bearizona – Bearizona Wildlife Park is a tourist destination found within Kaibab National Forest and features wolves, bison and black bears. Northern Arizona will be cooler, and a fun road trip with kids. https://www.fs.usda.gov/kaibab/
- See a Diamondback Game – Post-game fireworks, weekend dog-friendly games, and air-conditioning are all in place to encourage fans to come out and enjoy a great American past time even in the heat of summer. https://www.mlb.com/dbacks/schedule/2019-06
- Phoenix Children’s Museum – With over 500 annual programs focused on education, and several summer camp options, the Children’s Museum allows kids to play and learn at the same time. https://childrensmuseumofphoenix.org
- Go Skating – Whether ice skating or roller blading, several locations exist for indoor skating to help kids burn energy and have fun while also learning or growing a skill. A quick internet search should show you several options.
- Butterfly Wonderland – With over 3,000 butterflies, Butterfly Wonderland is one of the largest butterfly conservatories in the US. Visit early to celebrate Eric Carle’s 50th Anniversary of the Very Hungry Caterpillar with a special exhibit. https://butterflywonderland.com/
- Hit Route 66 – Before the iconic highway disappears completely, take a drive which can include the Petrified Forest, Painted Desert (bring a camera), Winslow (made famous by the Eagles song), Walnut Canyon National Monument and more. https://www.roadtripusa.com/route-66/arizona/
- Indoor Fun Centers – With activities such as arcades, trampolines, bowling, rock climbing, laser tag, indoor golf and more, you can have an adrenaline filled adventure in a single afternoon.
- Legoland Discovery Center – A café, indoor play land and store, the Legoland Discovery Center is perfect for youngsters with building on their mind. Play and grab something to take home that will occupy their hands and minds for even longer. Book online for savings. https://arizona.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/
- Odysea Aquarium – With shark tours and penguin encounters, you and your littles can have fun learning and interacting with some of the most beloved aquatic animals on the planet. https://www.odyseaaquarium.com/
- See a Movie – Movies are a great way to cool inside on a hot afternoon. Check your local theater listings for a kid friendly flick, including movies in the park after dark events held by some communities or recreation centers.
- Hit a Water Park – Pack a bag and apply some sunscreen and hit a fun and wet water park to cool down. Not only will this be a fun time with the kids, it is sure to help them have a good night’s sleep!
- Spend a night out – Many local hotels offer discounted rates during the summer months to allow kids access to the swimming pool. Why not take a mini-staycation?
- Polar Play Ice Bar – Called the coolest place in the desert, the Polar Play Ice Bar features sculptures, games and lounge areas to cool down and have fun. https://polarplay.com/
- And, a bonus idea: Get Healthy – Summer is the perfect time to catch up on all those childhood appointments that can cause schedule conflicts during the school year. Visit the dentist, schedule a braces consultation, get a physical done, get vision and hearing tests, and take care of any other medical tune-up
Whatever your summer plans, we at PERFECT TEETH are here to help you and your family have the best and brightest smile. Give us a call today to schedule your new patient visit, braces consultation, or your regular check-up! Before you know it, the summer will be gone, so get the important stuff done – like spending time together, and getting healthy!
Mom approved by Christine S, Operations Manager at the PERFECT TEETH dental practice in Peoria, Arizona where we love seeing kids of all ages!